New York Special Needs Trust Attorneys

Special Needs Trusts (SNT) for the Special Needs Child or Grandchild

Parents or grandparents of a special needs child should leave assets to them in a special needs trust, to avoid the child being disqualified from receiving government benefits, such as SSI and Medicaid. The reasoning behind these special needs trusts is simple — prior to the protection now afforded by these trusts, parents would simply disinherit their special needs children rather than see them lose their benefits. Since the state wasn't getting the inheritance monies anyway, why not allow it to go to the child for his or her extra needs, above and beyond what the state supplies.

What Can a Special Needs Trust Pay For in New York?
  • Clothing
  • Essential dietary needs
  • Education
  • Hobbies, sports, exercise
  • Tickets for events
  • Health care costs and medical procedures
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Household goods (appliances, furniture, computer, television)
  • Personal care products
  • Personal services (lawn mowing, housecleaning, babysitting, etc.)
  • Music
  • Real property
  • Automobile (including gas and insurance)
  • Transportation (buses, cabs, trains, domestic airfare)
  • Vacations

These trusts, however, offer traps for the unwary. Since payments to the child will generally reduce their SSI payments dollar for dollar, trustees of such trusts should be advised to make payments directly to the providers of goods and services. Preserving SSI benefits is crucial since eligibility for SSI determines eligibility for Medicaid.

In other words, if SSI is lost the recipient also loses their Medicaid benefits. In addition, any benefits previously paid by Medicaid may be recovered. As such, one also has to be mindful of bequests from well-meaning grandparents.

Distributions from the trust to the beneficiary should be “in kind” rather than in cash. For example, the trust may own items such as furniture and allow the beneficiary child the use of them. In addition, the special needs trust must be carefully drafted so that it only allows payments for any benefits over and above what the government provides, not only now but also in the future. The child may not control or have direct access to any portion of the trust.

The Two Types of Special Needs Trusts

First Party Special Needs Trusts

The first party trust is set up by a parent, grandparent or legal guardian using the child's own money, either through earnings, an inheritance that was left directly to them or, perhaps, a personal injury award. These trusts require a “payback” provision, meaning that on the death of the child beneficiary, the trust must pay back the state for any government benefits received. In other words, the state is saying that, we will let you use this money for your special needs, but whatever was not needed should go back towards your basic care. These trusts require annual reporting and accounting requirements to the state.

Third Party Special Needs Trusts

A third party trust is set up by a third party, usually a parent or grandparent, using their own money. Here, no “payback” provision is required because it was not the child's own money that funded the trust and the parent or grandparent had no obligation to leave any assets to the child. Indeed, requiring a payback provision would discourage many parents from setting up a special needs trust at all. Generally, on the death of the child beneficiary, the balance of the trust is paid out to the special needs child's children first, if any, otherwise to the surviving siblings, then nieces and nephews, etc.

A major issue for parents today is the increased life expectancy of their special needs child. With major advances in medical care, many such special needs children, who would have in earlier days predeceased their parents, are now surviving them. In order to solve this problem, parents often leave a disproportionate share of the estate to the special needs child. This can engender hard feelings in siblings who, although agreeable to such an arrangement initially, may find themselves in need of funds later on and resentful of the uneven distribution in favor of the special needs child. The surviving siblings are often the only support network available for the special needs child so it is all the more important to keep peace and harmony in the family.

Often, an analysis with the elder law estate planning attorney will reveal that the income from an equal division of the estate will, in fact, be sufficient to provide for the special needs child's needs. If such is not the case, “second-to-die”, or "survivorship life" insurance may be purchased to provide for any additional funds needed. These policies are written over both parent's lives. Since the insurance company only has to pay when the second parent dies, the premiums are significantly lower than on a single life policy. Consideration should also be given to having the policy owned by an Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust, for tax purposes.

Finally, in order to assist those who may have to care for the special needs child after the parent is gone, a "Letter of Intent" is often used. Here, the parent advises about the daily medical needs, their daily routines, their likes and dislikes, etc. Samples of the "Letter of Intent" for a special needs child are available on the Internet.

For More Information on SNT’s, Contact a New York Special Needs Trust Attorney at Ettinger Law Firm

New York Estate Planning & Elder Law Blog - Special Needs Trust

Client Reviews

This is the best choice for elder care and estate planning! Well established and transparent in services and quality of staff is suberb. K. D.
Outstanding professionals at every level within their organization. Interpersonal communications outstanding. F. O.
Very happy with the firm and so pleased we have them helping us. C. D.
Mr Ettinger has worked with my family for over a decade and has provided excellent advice on numerous issues relating to trust and elder law. B. A.